April 7, 2014 is celebrated as World Health Day, a day dedicated to tackling worldwide health issues. In honor of this holiday, our center would like to highlight one of the most vital organs in your body- your lungs. Maintaining lung health is among the best ways to reduce your risk of illness and keep your body in the best shape for years to come. Follow these tips for strong lungs.
1. Avoid smoking and second-hand smoke – Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your lungs and there is no safe aspect of it. Avoid all types of tobacco smoke to prevent some of the most common lung diseases, including cancer.
2. Exercise – A fit lifestyle can improve your cardiorespiratory fitness, helping your lungs to get oxygen to your heart and muscles. Practice low-intensity cardio to get started.
3. Beware of pollution – Large cities provide a lot of exposure to pollution. Do your part to reduce air pollution and be mindful of how long you spend outdoors in areas known to have higher air pollution incidence rates. Breathing this kind of toxic air can damage your lungs over time and increase your risk of lung disease.
4. Practice healthy eating – A good diet is important for healthy lungs. Foods rich in vitamins can help prevent sicknesses that affect your lungs like colds and the flu.
5. Look for warning signs – Trouble breathing and coughs that persist for long periods are often warning signs that something could be wrong. Visit your doctor if you experience symptoms like these.
This is not intended as medical advice to replace the expertise and judgment of your health care team. It is intended to help you and your family make informed decisions, together with your doctor.